Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Saturday Sallying

I had an interesting Saturday. It snowed here, just a little right as I woke up. But I could look up the mountain and see that there was a lot of snow just up the road. So, snow being a novelty to me, I decided to go sledding somewhere up on the mountain. However, the only people around were SBS students who have an insane amount of work, and none of them wanted to take two hours off to go sled. But the idea was in my head, so I grabbed a sled off the top of a coke machine in the next dorm, tossed it in the back of my pickup, and headed up the mountain. At this point in the story it would be helpful for you to be aware that the fuel gauge in my truck does not work very well (i.e. does not work at all under 1/4 tank). I have tried to remedy this problem by keeping track of miles and gallons, but I lost motivation. Anyway, there I am, driving in 30 degree weather, six miles up a mountain covered in snow when what should occur but the sudden failure of my engine to be fed a continual supply of fuel. And to add to it, I'm on the only flat(ish) stretch of road up there. I get out of my truck and try pushing it, but it will only move further up the road. At that moment my resolve to go sledding actually became totally cemented. I managed to push my truck out of the road, then grab my coat, gloves and sled and started walking. I walked for a little under an hour before a pickup driving by stopped and offered me a lift (previous to this the only pickups that had passed me had found it more intriguing to shout obscenities at me). I gladly hopped into the bed, and he started driving. He took me about 5 miles up to where the snow was real nice. In fact the road was pretty much covered with snow from the point he picked me up on. After a cold ride he pulled to a stop to let me out, and I set off back down the hill, now on my sled. It was possibly the most frightening experience of my life, as I was sledding down a snowy mountain road with frequent twists, and couldn't even hear oncoming cars. It was awesome. But the adventure continues. I got to the end of the snow and started walking again. This time I only walked about fifteen minutes before a truck pulled over and offered to take me al the way back to base. So I hopped in the bed, atop a bunch of leaf-filled garbage bags, and we took off. This man however was undoubtedly a true man of the mountain, as he was not at all afraid to tear down this narrow, twisting dirt road at speeds which I would deem to be significantly less than kosher. Seriously, he was going fifty mph on this already dangerous road, with me perched in the exposed bed. It was cold, and lots of fun. And my truck was still up on the mountain. But this isn't the end of my Saturday adventure. There is another interesting event that happened later in the evening worth relating. But that will wait until tomorrow.

4 Comments:

At 11/09/2005 8:00 AM, Anonymous aimee said...

you went sledding without me?

 
At 11/09/2005 9:36 PM, Blogger r.fuel said...

"...significantly less than kosher."

Nice.

 
At 11/09/2005 9:55 PM, Anonymous Grammysue said...

It is a wise son who describes his perilous adventures (which his mother may read) after the fact.

 
At 11/10/2005 8:19 PM, Blogger r.fuel said...

You promised us another story today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home